With spring setting in and as we get ready for summer, we all are (I hope all my fellow moms are) either traveling or getting ready to travel with our tots. You have packed all the necessities and gathered all your gear. You have made sure that you are carrying all the necessary medicines and prescriptions so your tot (and you) can combat any sickness on the trip. Despite of this, the last thing we want is us or our tot/s getting sick from viral infection that lasts more than a week. If you are planning to stay in a hotel, a B&B or renting a house this summer with your tot/s you must be aware of hidden germs in rooms. The 2006 ABC News video discusses how 90% of travelers are surprised by cleanliness in rooms .
As the video suggests we could take simple precautions by doing a quick housekeeping service of our own before you settle in your hotel room. Trust me this took me less than 10 minutes to do:
- Carry antibacterial wipes, before your tot/s enter the room, wipe down all the accessible table tops (side tables, coffee tables, desks, TV stands, shelves, bathroom counter-tops). If you see dust on your wipes on the first surface you clean, you want to be a little more detailed in your clean-up process
- Wipe down the remotes and video game console gear (if your tot is a video game junkie like me)
- Wipe down the handles on the room, the bathroom, the doors/drawers
- Wipe down the toilet seat
- Do your own turndown service, take off the heavy bedspread, store it away in the closet where your tot cannot access it. Put away all the decorative pillows, they have probably been gathering dust for a while
- Make sure you and your tot/s are not walking barefoot in the hotel room, keep socks or slippers on at all times
- Carry hand sanitizer and make sure your tot/s are sanitize their hands before enjoying a gluttonous meal
- Rinse the drinking glasses, or bring your own disposable drinking glasses
- If you are traveling with very young tots, please bring your own sheets and a light blanket
With this basic housekeeping you can keep ensure that all members of the family are safe and healthy during your stay.
Also review the TripAdvisor.com list of Top 10 dirtiest hotels in America for the current year and make sure that you are not staying at one of them. This list is culled from reviews written by real travelers. The news report from ABC News includes the 2011 list of the dirtiest hotels and a short helpful video on personal housekeeping.
Happy travels and do share your experiences with us on TitterTot.